Today's picks

    N.J. man charged with arson attempt at St. Patrick’s Cathedral held for psychiatric evaluation at N.Y. hospital

    The 37-year-old New Jersey man charged with attempted arson after police say he brought two gas containers, lighter fluid and lighters into St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City on Wednesday night has been sent to Bellevue Hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, his attorney said Friday.

    Marc Lamporello, of Hasbrouck Heights, also faces charges after he refused to leave Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark on Monday.

    “He was held overnight at Bellevue Hospital in the mental health section for evaluation,” said Christopher DiLorenzo, an attorney who practices in both New York and New Jersey. DiLorenzo said Lamporello’s parents in Hasbrouck Heights retained him Thursday.

    DiLorenzo has not had the opportunity to speak with Lamporello and was unsure whether an arraignment would be held Friday.

    “With this being Good Friday, this could carry over to Monday,” the attorney said. “I’m just not sure.”

    In addition to attempted arson, New York police charged Lamporello with reckless endangerment and trespassing.

    Police said Lamparello drove his minivan to St. Patrick’s Cathedral about 8 p.m. Wednesday, parked near the church and walked inside carrying a pair of two-gallon canisters of gasoline, lighter fluid and butane lighters. He was stopped and questioned by church security, police said.

    After his arrest, the NYPD said they found Lamparello had booked a one-way flight to Rome, Italy.

    Two days earlier, Lamporello was arrested for refusing to leave Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark, according to Essex County Sheriff Armando B. Fontoura.

    Lamporello threw himself onto the floor between two pews and told sheriff’s officers “I’m not going, this is God’s house and I’m not leaving,” Fontoura said.

    Lamporello was charged in Newark with defiant trespass, obstruction and disorderly conduct. He was released to the custody of his mother, Fontoura said.


    Related Articles